WEC’s primary goal is to bring the gospel to cultures and peoples who have yet to receive it, and to see churches start and grow among them. Senegal is a secular state with religious freedom, but political and social life is dominated by the vast Muslim majority (over 90%). There are over 50 ethnic groups in the country, and in vast areas Jesus is unknown except as an esteemed prophet or a figure on a crucifix. The goal of planting churches is therefore an immense challenge and much of the work is reliant upon expatriate workers.
Hillview Community Church supported Barbara Scott in her work with WEC for many years. Barbara worked in the north of Senegal, demonstrating the love of Jesus through various ministries meeting people’s needs: medical clinics in isolated villages, improving health by encouraging and giving advice on agriculture, market gardens and fish farming. Barbara was heavily involved in preparing Bible teaching messages for radio and teaching children God’s word in the village of Buntunbat where 80-120 children regularly attend weekly meetings.
After a long battle with cancer, Barbara was called home to be with the Lord earlier this year. Barbara’s unwavering faith was an inspiration to all that she came into contact with and will always be known as a warrior of Christ!
- Praise God for the work which Barbara was involved in for almost 30 years, for the fruits of her labours and the people who have come to know Jesus through her work.
- Pray that God would continue to break down spiritual resistance against the gospel.
- Pray for Hussain who worked closely with Barbara for many years, pray for him as he comes to terms with losing Barbara and tries to continue the work.
- Pray for WEC as they seek God’s will for the work in Senegal.
- Pray for the people of Buntubat, especially the children and adults Barbara worked closely with, that God may continue to foster positive and meaningful relationships with them and that they may come to know Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour.